The Greek Awareness Centre Saferinternet.gr
and the Internet safety campaign running in Greece since 2004, are implemented under the auspices of the European Commission, within the framework of the Safer Internet
The main goals of Saferinternet.gr campaign are to:
- Protect minors from illegal and harmful content, contact and conduct in respect to the Internet and other online technologies.
- Create awareness and educate parents about the ways they can protect themselves and they can protect their children from the potential dangers lying in the inproper use of online technologies, like the Internet and the mobile phone.
- Promote the positive aspects of the online technologies as valuable tools for enhancing the quality of our daily life.
- Educate teachers about the safe use of the Internet, ensuring that they are aware of both benefits and risks, with the scope to create multiplier-effect actions within the classroom.
- Encourage dialogue between minors and parents on proper online technologies use and safety issues, promote online safety and critical thinking.
- Support (grand-) parents, educators as well as minors with appropriate awareness and informative material.
For the implementation of the above goals, the Greek Awarenes Centre is implementing a variety of awareness activities, such as informative seminars towards the wider public, train-the-trainers workshops for educators, promotion of issues concerning Internet safety to the mass media, creation of polymorphic online an print material, and TV and radio campaigns. The Awareness Centre collaborates with representatives from the government, the online technologies industry, as well as NGOs in Greece and abroad, which have as primary goal the provision of a safer online environment.
The Greek Saferinternet Awareness Centre is the national representative for Greece of the Insafe Network of Safer Internet Awareness Centres
, with 30 members across Europe. Within the Insafe network, Saferinternet.gr
exchanges ideas, experiences, best practices and informative material with its fellow awareness centres. The Awareness Centre is coordinated and implemented by the non-profit organisation Safer Internet Hellas.
, the Greek Safer Internet Centre consists of two further axes: the Greek hotline Safeline
and the helpline YpoSTIRIZO.
to download the Greek Centre's Public Report for the period January 2011 - June 2012
(PDF file, size 13ΜΒ).